Davies Howe Partners LLP is your land development and litigation team, dedicated to tenacious advocacy, strategic solutions and service excellence.
Practicing exclusively in the areas of land development law and civil litigation, we believe that resolving legal issues requires a close working relationship with clients and a responsive and common sense approach to finding solutions. To accomplish this, we work collaboratively, utilizing our individual and collective strengths for the benefit of each client.
We have been leading advocates in the areas of land development law and civil litigation for clients throughout the Province of Ontario for more than 20 years since being founded by Jeff Davies and Bob Howe. We act for a full spectrum of clients, from small entrepreneurs and public agencies to pension funds and some of the largest private sector land developers and financial services companies in the country.
Recent News & Posts
Our lawyers work with clients to resolve complex issues regarding the development of land throughout the province of Ontario. One of our firm’s key strengths is our ability to work with clients and their consulting teams in formulating and executing both short and long term strategic plans.
Our municipal, land use and development law legal team was ranked the Number 1 land development law firm in 2013 and 2014 by Novae Res Urbis – GTA edition, and has consistently ranked in the top 5 in both the GTA and City of Toronto editions.
Our experience is broad. We regularly advocate for residential, commercial, industrial and institutional property developers before the Ontario Municipal Board and other tribunals and the courts. We have expertise in all aspects of the land use and development process under the Planning Act and beyond, including:
- Official Plan and Zoning By-law Amendments
- Site Plan Approvals
- Minor Variances and Consents
- Plans of Subdivision
- Development Charges
- Municipal Finance
- Development Agreements
- Infrastructure Cost Sharing Agreements
- Landowner Group Trustee services
- Parkland Dedication and Cash-in-Lieu
- Real Property and Easements
Our litigation team will help you resolve legal disputes in and out of the courtroom. Our team has expertise advocating for clients on a wide range of commercial, insurance defence, employment and administrative law matters. We also act for the firm’s land use and development clients in litigation disputes. We have expertise in:
- Commercial and contractual disputes
- Insurance law, including:
- Life, disability and travel insurance
- Professional liability insurance
- Property insurance
- Commercial general liability insurance
- Reinsurance policies
- Real estate disputes concerning easements and other property rights
- Disputes involving the development of land and Planning Act approvals
- Appeals of decisions made under the Building Code Act
- Municipal liability
- Security enforcement and collections actions
- Negligence and breach of fiduciary duty actions
- Libel and slander actions
- Misrepresentation and fraud actions
- Employment disputes
Our litigation team can provide strategic advice to help you achieve the long-term results you want, whether through litigation, alternative dispute resolution or another creative problem-solving approach.