While other top firms are clustered in the downtown core, we at Davies Howe call King Street West and the Entertainment District our home. It suits our style – sharp, urban and contemporary.
Our values are simple and we live them every day – Integrity, Creativity, Excellence and Teamwork.
We call it ICE-T.
JUNIOR LAW CLERK / ASSISTANT – Land Use & Development – Real Estate – Aug 24, 2022
Davies Howe LLP is a busy and growing downtown Toronto (Adelaide and Brant) law firm looking for a Legal Assistant/Law Clerk to join our Land Use group. Davies Howe LLP is recognized as one of the Top 10 Development Law Firms in both the GTA and GTHA with our lawyers involved in practically every major decision.
In this role you will support three lawyers with growing practices. Davies Howe is an excellent firm and this is a great opportunity for the right person.
We are looking for someone who is bright, eager, and hardworking. In return, we provide a competitive salary, seasonal bonuses and a fully sponsored benefit package in a fun and friendly environment.
Duties will include:
- Prepare public notices with lawyer oversight
- Draft basic correspondence
- Perform searches of title using Teraview and preparing various forms of instruments to be registered through the Teraview system
- Assist lawyers with closing the sale or purchase of land and completing other conveyancing-related tasks (e.g. addressing easements)
- Internet research
- Document Book preparation for hearings
- Assist with evidence preparation
- Assist with hearing preparations
- Photo copying and scanning
- Monitor and maintain lawyer calendars and emails
- Set up conference calls and arrange meetings
- File opening, closing and other tasks as assigned and required
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and qualities:
- Law Clerk diploma
- Keen attention to detail is essential
- Demonstrated Teraview experience
- 1 year of law office experience preferred
- Municipal law experience is a definite asset
- Ability to manage priorities and meet deadlines
- Excellent computer skills including Adobe Pro, MS Word, MS Outlook and MS Excel
- Strong communication skills (oral and written)
- Strong professional work ethic, teamwork and integrity
Our firm requires all firm members to be fully vaccinated with a Health Canada approved COVID-19 vaccine (3 shots plus two weeks). If you are offered employment, you will find a vaccination clause in your offer of employment.
Currently we are working in a hybrid environment.
Candidates with the above qualifications are asked to email their resume, cover letter in confidence to: email@example.com. We thank all applicants for their interest however only those selected for interview will be contacted.